• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Franchise Tax - Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JETX

What is the name of your state? Relevant state is California.

Here is the situation....
I have a friend in Texas who worked in California for part of the years 1981 and 1982. He just received a certified letter from the California Franchise Tax Board claiming that he owed $1400 in unpaid taxes for that period (now $14000 with interest and penalties). They have threatened to place a lien on his property in Texas. I might also add that they have 'offered' to reduce their claim to the original $1400 if he pays immediately (needless to say, this indicates that they have little or no leg to stand on).

The questions:
1) Does the CA FTB have the authority to enforce this claim for taxes from 1981/1982??
2) Does the CA FTB have the authority to place a lien on his property not located in California??

According to the Texas Codes (Property and Tax), it appears that they (CA) do not have a right to place a lien for this tax claim.

Your opinions???

Last edited:

abezon

He should contact a CA tax attorney immediately. If the statute of limitations has run, the FTB is out of luck. A 'buzz off' letter from a lawyer should do it.

JETX

Thanks, but that really doesn't answer my question.... before we send a 'buzz-off' letter, I would like to know if they have the right to do what they are trying to do.
Personally, I don't think they can, but would like to deal from a firmer footing!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">