• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California non-resident issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

philipk65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California Hi, The wife and I spent the first half of the year in CA. My question is which CA. state form(s) do we need? Also, What and why would be need the CA. adjustments form? Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California Hi, The wife and I spent the first half of the year in CA. My question is which CA. state form(s) do we need? Also, What and why would be need the CA. adjustments form? Thanks
You need to do part year state returns for CA and the state you are living in now. I will tell you, with all honesty, that its quite difficult to do part year state returns without the aid of professional tax software.

I would advise you to use a tax professional for your returns for this year, due to the part year state issue. Even if you are someone who has always done your own returns and believes that you are "savy" enough to do them, this is one year where it would likely be in your best interest to use a tax professional.

You might as well use the professional for your federal return as well, because odds are it would cost you just as much, or almost as much, to use them for only the state returns. Why?..because they would have to do your federal return in order to do your state returns, even if you already filed your federal return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">