• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Tax Preparer business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nezahualcoyotl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I'm planning on completing the 60 hour qualifying tax preparer course this year and hopefully I will be doing business Feb 2006. Can anyone give insight as to making a career out of being a california tax preparer? I already have friends and family (through word of mouth) asking me to do their 2005 taxes next year, but I don't wont to overlook anything I may be doing wrong. TIA!

Snipes5

Sixty hours is a good start. I suggest you work with an EA or CPA this year to get your feet wet. There is much you won't know the first year. Plan to start in early January, starting in February is too late.

Snipes

nezahualcoyotl

Snipes: thanks for the advice.
In 2004 I did intern for a small CPA firm doing individual and corporate taxes. And in 2005 I had more tax experience. So, basically I think I have enough experience to complete the 60 hours and pass and start independently doing returns on my own. My biggest concern right now is making a contract to sign with my customers. I've been looking online for some basic contracts for tax preparers, but I havn't found anything I like. As far as marketing goes I'm planning on targeting college campuses as I just graduated a few years ago from college. I have a full time job already, but I have enough flexibility so I can dedicate nights and weekends to preparing taxes. Thanks again snipes.

Snipes5

Well, you best get busy then, the tax season begins in about 8 weeks. Most available commercial tax courses that you can attend are drawing to a close.

Snipes

nezahualcoyotl

I recently complete my first official season as a tax preparer. Do I need to file a "Doing Business As" file with the state of California? Or anything else like that. I was just going to prepare a Schdule C under my own name and social security #. Would that be proper?

Also, I'm thinking about selling t-shirts as another seasonal business. Would the same apply as a tax preparer even though I'm providing an actual product and not service? TIA!

LdiJ

nezahualcoyotl said:
I recently complete my first official season as a tax preparer. Do I need to file a "Doing Business As" file with the state of California? Or anything else like that. I was just going to prepare a Schdule C under my own name and social security #. Would that be proper?

Also, I'm thinking about selling t-shirts as another seasonal business. Would the same apply as a tax preparer even though I'm providing an actual product and not service? TIA!
Handling it and filing as a solepropriator on a schedule C is just fine. The same would apply for your T-shirt business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">