• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I claim child if decree says I can?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tranquility

What is the name of your state? Federal tax law

The exceptions continue to shrink to the requirement of a signed form giving the spouse the right to deduct the child if he does not live with him.

From Kleinrock's Federal Tax Bulletin:

Snelgrove v. Commissioner, T.C. Summary 2007-44:
The Tax Court held that a taxpayer who was awarded the dependency deductions for his children in a divorce decree could not claim the dependency deduction or the child care credit for the children who lived with his former wife because she did not execute a written declaration releasing the exemption.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Federal tax law

The exceptions continue to shrink to the requirement of a signed form giving the spouse the right to deduct the child if he does not live with him.

From Kleinrock's Federal Tax Bulletin:

Snelgrove v. Commissioner, T.C. Summary 2007-44:
The Tax Court held that a taxpayer who was awarded the dependency deductions for his children in a divorce decree could not claim the dependency deduction or the child care credit for the children who lived with his former wife because she did not execute a written declaration releasing the exemption.
Tranq, do you think that the bolded part is a typo? I would assuming that they were really talking about the child tax credit rather than the child care credit.

LdiJ

Tranq, do you think that the bolded part is a typo? I would assuming that they were really talking about the child tax credit rather than the child care credit.
Also, if you haven't posted that in the family law forums (child support) would you please do so.

tranquility

I've been bad tied up and haven't gotten back to the list much and just caught the question. I haven't read the case as it is not included until our next disk and I wasn't motivated enought to look to the web to find it. However, I've found the editors to be very good at their write-ups. Even when there are times where I thought they were wrong, when I read the case I understood what they were talking about. I agree there is something a little odd with the bold area, but I bet it isn't an error. If I get a change to read the case itself in the next few months, I'll update the thread.

I know there are some list mom's who yell at duplicate posts and don't want to bring down their, usually righteous, wraith. I did consider the family law section but decided on the tax area. I don't think I'll post the thread again, but wish there was a way to tag the entry to more than one category.

fairisfair

I've been bad tied up and haven't gotten back to the list much and just caught the question. I haven't read the case as it is not included until our next disk and I wasn't motivated enought to look to the web to find it. However, I've found the editors to be very good at their write-ups. Even when there are times where I thought they were wrong, when I read the case I understood what they were talking about. I agree there is something a little odd with the bold area, but I bet it isn't an error. If I get a change to read the case itself in the next few months, I'll update the thread.

I know there are some list mom's who yell at duplicate posts and don't want to bring down their, usually righteous, wraith. I did consider the family law section but decided on the tax area. I don't think I'll post the thread again, but wish there was a way to tag the entry to more than one category.

All I could find on the case was the report that it came from, Klein"somethingorother". I could not locate any details either. Not without buying the report. I will post it again in the family law section. "Them wimen" don't scare me. LOL

LdiJ

The reason I asked about the bolded portion is that the ncp has never been able to claim the child care credit, even if the cp did sign form 8332. Therefore it seemed redundant as an issue. However the child tax credit would definitely be an issue, since it goes with the dependency exemption.

However, you are right, we need to read the case to be sure.

tranquility

Got it.

U] Snelgrove v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, No. 19713-05S (U.S.T.C. 03/20/2007)

[1] UNITED STATES TAX COURT

[2] Docket No. 19713-05S

[3] 2007.USTC.0000112< http://www.versuslaw.com>

[4] March 20, 2007

[5] MICHAEL SCOTT SNELGROVE, SR., PETITIONER
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE, RESPONDENT

[6] Michael Scott Snelgrove, Sr., pro se.

[7] Veena Luthra, for respondent.

[8] The opinion of the court was delivered by: Couvillion, Special Trial Judge

[9] PURSUANT TO INTERNAL REVENUE CODE SECTION 7463(b),THIS OPINION MAY NOT BE TREATED AS PRECEDENT FOR ANY OTHER CASE.

[10] This case was heard pursuant to section 7463 of the Internal Revenue Code in effect at the time the petition was filed.*fn1 The decision to be entered is not reviewable by any other court, and this opinion should not be cited as authority.

[11] Respondent determined a deficiency of $4,658 in petitioner's Federal income tax for 2003. After concessions by respondent, hereafter noted, the sole issue for decision is whether petitioner, under section 151, is entitled to dependency exemption deductions for two of his three children from a prior marriage.

[12] Some of the facts were stipulated, and those facts, with the annexed exhibits, are so found and are incorporated herein by reference. At the time the petition was filed, petitioner's legal residence was Sunbury, North Carolina.

[13] Petitioner was married in 1989 and, prior to the year at issue, divorced. Three children were born of this marriage, and, on his Federal income tax return for the year at issue, he claimed dependency exemption deductions for the three children as dependents. Petitioner filed his return as a head-of-household under section 2(b) and claimed the child tax credit under section 24(a) with respect to each child. In the notice of deficiency, respondent disallowed the three dependency exemptions and the child tax credit and changed petitioner's filing status to single. At trial, respondent conceded that petitioner was entitled to head-of-household filing status and the dependency exemption deduction for one child due to the fact that the child lived with petitioner during the year at issue.*fn2 The two other children lived with petitioner's former spouse during the year at issue, and the principal issue in this case is petitioner's claims to the dependency exemption deductions for the two children and the child tax credit.

[14] Petitioner claims entitlement to the dependency exemption deductions based on an order by the State court that granted his divorce. Generally, that order provided that petitioner was entitled to the dependency exemption deductions for the children as to any year during which his former spouse only was employed part time. Respondent does not challenge the fact that petitioner's former spouse was employed part time during the year at issue, and petitioner would be entitled to the dependency exemption deductions except for the fact that petitioner has not satisfied the requirements of section 152(e)(2).

[15] Generally, section 151(c) allows a taxpayer to deduct an annual exemption amount for each dependent, as defined in section 152. Under section 152(a), the term "dependent" means, in pertinent part, a son or daughter of the taxpayer over half of whose support was received from the taxpayer. Sec. 152(a)(1).

[16] In the case of a child of divorced parents, section 152(e)(1) provides in pertinent part that, if a child receives over half of his support from his parents who are divorced under a decree of divorce, and the child is in the custody of one or both of his parents for more than one-half of the year, then the child will be treated as receiving over half of his support from the parent having custody for a greater portion of the calendar year (referred to as the "custodial parent"). Petitioner's former spouse was the custodial parent of the two children at issue.

[17] The "non-custodial parent" is entitled to claim the dependency exemption deductions if one of three statutory exceptions in section 152(e) applies. If an exception applies, the "non-custodial parent" (in this case petitioner) is treated as providing over half of a child's support. This case, therefore, focuses on section 152(e)(2).

[18] Section 152(e)(2) provides, if "the custodial parent signs a written declaration", that such custodial parent will not claim such child as a dependent, and the non-custodial parent attaches such written declaration to the non-custodial parent's return for the taxable year, the non-custodial parent is entitled to the dependency exemption deduction for that year.

[19] The "written declaration" is embodied in Form 8332, Release of Claim to Exemption for Child of Divorced or Separated Parents. That form consists of two parts, Part I, which is for the release of the dependency exemption for the "current year", and Part II applies to releases for "future years". Both parts (if applicable) must be signed by the custodial parent releasing the exemptions, and each part requires the year or years (in the case of Part II) to which the exemption is released and the names of the dependents.

[20] Petitioner's former spouse did not execute a Form 8332; however, petitioner attached to his income tax return a copy of the court order pursuant to which he claims entitlement to the dependency exemption deduction for the two children. Respondent contends that this does not satisfy the requirements of section 152(e)(2).

[21] In Miller v. Commissioner, 114 T.C. 184 (2000), the Court addressed specifically whether an attachment to the tax return of an order by the divorce court allowing the non-custodial parent the dependency exemption for a dependent satisfies the requirements of section 152(e)(2) where there is no accompanying signature by the custodial parent agreeing to the release of the dependency exemption deduction. The Court held that attaching a copy of the court order to the income tax return does not satisfy the requirement of section 152(e)(2) in the absence of a signature by the custodial parent agreeing to allowance of the dependency exemption deduction to the non-custodial spouse and also stating the year or years as to which the non-custodial parent is entitled to claim the dependency exemptions.

[22] Petitioner has not satisfied these requirements, and, accordingly, respondent is sustained in disallowing petitioner the dependency exemption deductions for his two children.

[23] Reviewed and adopted as the report of the Small Tax Case Division.

[24] Decision will be entered under Rule 155.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinion Footnotes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[25] *fn1 Unless otherwise indicated, section references are to the Internal Revenue Code in effect for the year at issue. All Rule references are to the Tax Court Rules of Practice and Procedure.

[26] *fn2 The record does not reflect whether respondent conceded the child tax credit with respect to that dependent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">