• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I claim a child on taxes because of ex's late/non payment of child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mom2Many

I live in Denver, CO. My ex and I have 2 children together. The court has ordered that he be able to claim one child every year and the 2nd child every OTHER year.

Concerning filing taxes for last year, the year he would be able to claim BOTH kids - he has paid support *late* several times. My current husband says that *we* should be able to claim one or both kids on OUR taxes because of my ex's LATENESS on paying child support.

My ex has had one child living with him for the better part of a year (but did not want to go back to court due to cost and hassle).

Is it legal/ethical to ask him/make him give us one child to claim for last year's taxes?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

I live in Denver, CO. My ex and I have 2 children together. The court has ordered that he be able to claim one child every year and the 2nd child every OTHER year.

Concerning filing taxes for last year, the year he would be able to claim BOTH kids - he has paid support *late* several times. My current husband says that *we* should be able to claim one or both kids on OUR taxes because of my ex's LATENESS on paying child support.

My ex has had one child living with him for the better part of a year (but did not want to go back to court due to cost and hassle).

Is it legal/ethical to ask him/make him give us one child to claim for last year's taxes?

It is LEGAL to ask him anything you want, and probably ETHICAL as well.

I don't know that you can MAKE him do what you want, so being legal or ethical is irrelevant.

It seems pretty harsh to ask him to give up a tax deduction as a late fee. What hardship did this cause, or do you just want to punish him?

Silverplum

What does your court order state on the subject?

I think, considering that one child has lived with Dad most of the year, it's entirely UNethical to ask him. You asked/I answered.

LdiJ

I see nothing unethical about it. They have two children, they should each be claiming one. There is no reason why dad should get to claim both children every other year.

Silverplum

I see nothing unethical about it. They have two children, they should each be claiming one. There is no reason why dad should get to claim both children every other year.
Court order.

Legal site. You know. :rolleyes: Court orders exist for reasons; the reason for that order has not been revealed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Except, perhaps, per the court order ;)

LdiJ

Except, perhaps, per the court order ;)
However, that doesn't make it unethical to ask, which was what I was commenting on. Of course the court order has to be followed if there is no agreement to deviate.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
However, that doesn't make it unethical to ask, which was what I was commenting on. Of course the court order has to be followed if there is no agreement to deviate.
I was only responding to your statement: There is no reason why dad should get to claim both children every other year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">