+ Reply to Thread
    sprovost is offline Member

Can I claim my disabled Mom as my dependant?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine
    My 83 year mom lives with me. She is unable to care for herself because she is legally blind. Her cost for staying with me is she is responsible for paying for the heat. Can I claim her as a dependent? For income she receives a social security check and a annuity both totally about 1000 a month. Thanks
    LdiJ is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sprovost View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine
    My 83 year mom lives with me. She is unable to care for herself because she is legally blind. Her cost for staying with me is she is responsible for paying for the heat. Can I claim her as a dependent? For income she receives a social security check and a annuity both totally about 1000 a month. Thanks
    If she has income of 12k per year its a little iffy if you can claim her or not. You would have to be providing more than 50% of her support...which means that the cost of her support would have to be more than 24k per year. That is pushing the envelope.

Also, the value of her exemption would be 3500.00 x your marginal tax rate...if your marginal tax rate is 15%, for example, it really wouldn't be worth pushing the envelope.