• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I deduct checks written to my son's mother?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomisino

My ex-girlfriend and I have a two year old and he lives with her. Last year I claimed him as a dependant, this year she is. We have never been to court to establish custody or child support, however I have been giving her checks and cash (which I have receipts for) all year to help pay for his expenses and care. Does this count as child support or can I deduct some of this somehow? Tom

Neal1421

tomisino said:
My ex-girlfriend and I have a two year old and he lives with her. Last year I claimed him as a dependant, this year she is. We have never been to court to establish custody or child support, however I have been giving her checks and cash (which I have receipts for) all year to help pay for his expenses and care. Does this count as child support or can I deduct some of this somehow? Tom
Child support is not tax deductible.

Betty

federal income tax: child support payments are not tax deductible by payer or taxable to recipient.

LdiJ

Betty said:
federal income tax: child support payments are not tax deductible by payer or taxable to recipient.
That applies on the state level as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">