• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I deduct mortgage interest if I am not on the mortgae but am on the title/ deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NiceGuy123

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
I moved in with my gilrfriend. She filed a quit claim to put me on the title.
I am not on the mortgage. She made less than $30000 last year, so she is in the 15% bracket. I am in the 25% bracket. Through the last year, I have had to come up with more money for her than all the mortgage payments. I was thinking I could recover some of that by claiming that I paid the mortgage every month. Between federal and state, I would get about $3200 back. Where she would only get about $2000. And with the standard deduction she already will get $1000. So we could pull $4200 back from the government instead of just $2000.

Is proof that I paid the mortgage each month required, or can she let me claim it by giving me the document showing the interest paid?

I do live there if that matters.

Would we need an agreement that the money I spent was to cover the mortgage?

Can this be verbal? Or must it be written? If written, does it need to be notarized?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">