• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I do a 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges Involving Building on Land I Already Own?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edtarboosh

I live in MD, USA. I am considering selling some rental property and investing in more expensive rental property. My situation seems to conform with all the rules I've read but the rules I've seen are silent on one key issue that I fear might prevent compliance. I want to transfer the funds to build a rental property on land I already own. Assuming the cost of the building (not including the value or cost of the land) exceeds the proceeds from sold real-estate, can I do a like-kind exchange and if so, are there any special precautions or steps I must take?

FlyingRon

The term you're looking for is a "1031 improvement exchange." You can do this if you do it right. You need to make sure that the funds transfer and titling is done properly and that you complete the improvements in the 180 day period alotted. There are companies that specialize in handling these things (you must not ever take your own control over the funds involved in any amount).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">