• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I fill the W form as head of household

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcbxt8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
VA

I am single never married guy on VISA and staying with one room mate, can I fill the W form as head of house hold, or is this a fault on my part as I filled the W form as head of house hold for 2009 and there is a decrease in federal tax with holdings from last year. Please help

TinkerBelleLuvr

From what you are stating, it appears that your filing status should be SINGLE.

The Five Filing Status Possibilities

IRS TAX TIP 2009-03

Everyone who files a federal tax return must determine which filing status applies to them. It’s important you choose your correct filing status as it determines your standard deduction, the amount of tax you owe and ultimately, any refund owed to you.

There are two things to consider when determining your filing status:
First, your marital status on the last day of the year determines your filing status for the entire year. Secondly, if more than one filing status applies to you, choose the one that gives you the lowest tax obligation.

Here are the five filing status options:
1. Single. This will generally apply to anyone who is unmarried, divorced or legally separated according to your state law.

2. Married Filing Jointly. A married couple may file a joint return together. If your spouse died during the year, you may still file a joint return with that spouse for the year of death.

3. Married Filing Separately. A married couple may elect to file their returns separately.

4. Head of Household. This generally applies to taxpayers who are unmarried. You must also have paid more than half the cost of maintaining a home for you and a qualifying person to qualify for this filing status.

5. Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child. You may be able to choose this filing status if your spouse died during 2006 or 2007, you have a dependent child and you meet certain other conditions.
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=105098,00.html

A roommate is NOT a qualifying person. That would be reserved to children, parents, and a few select other categories.

some good reading here:
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_publink100041792

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">