• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I help out any??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misslawli

What is the name of your state? AZ
I just had a quick question. My parents divorced earlier this year. In march. My mother moved back into their rental propety to live. This is where I was living. I then moved in with my dad. I have a 4 year old son that I have complete and sole custody of. I work a good job and the only thing my dad asks for is to help out with some of the bills and give him as much as I can when I can. I provide all groceries and support my son 95%( the other 5% being the mortgage being paid by my dad.)
Is there anything that he can claim to help him oin his taxes? I know he is going to be hit hard this year and wondered if I could help any.

abezon

He could claim earned income credit on your son. You still claim your son as a dependent.

Also, he can file as head of household, since he paid over 1/2 the cost of maintaining his home where his unmarried child (you) lived for over 6 months. Depending on how much you paid towards your home from Jan-March & April-Dec., you might qualify as head of household for providing a home for your son. If you both qualify to file as head of household, be sure that one of you uses a post office box address.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">