• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I lose my home due to unpaid property tax?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

136gm

What is the name of your state?CT
We are four years behind in property taxes on our mobile home. Two months ago we contacted the tax office to make arrangements and they gave us the name of the town attorney to call. I called the attorney's office and spoke with the assistant, I explained the type of payments I wanted to make, she told me to document this, mail it to them with our first payment, we did this, they cashed the check, we just made our second payment last week. Today we received a letter in the mail dated 4/12/05 however post marked yesterday 4/22/05, stating that we had 10 days to answer it...

the letter is from the State Marshall and reads on behalf of the tax department on Groton, I have ben commanded to collect the above town tax. In the event that you fail to pay this tax, including the penalty, interest and Marshal fees upon demand I have been order to levy upon your goods and chattels and to dispose of the same as the law directs and if such goods and chattels shall not be found, I am ordered to levy upon and sell your real estate and or personal property to satisfy the written tax amount penalty, interest, marshal fees and all costs of said sale To avoid charges, please remit payment by bank check or money order or call to make arragnements for payments of this tax warrent with ten days. Will they go by the date they mailed it or the date listed on the letter? Can they lock us out of our house? Can they enter our home? We are applying for hardship withdrawals from 401k. Please help, I am 5 months pregnant with a 5 year old, what can happen, is this a scare tactic or can we really lose our home and how fast can this all happen?

We have a call into the attorney office that we made the payment too, as well as the marshall and the tax collector, unforuntately we got the letter at 5:10 and everyone had left for the weekend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">