• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i pay with legal tender?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

I stand by my original statement that you are being a smartass and should not be rewarded by the government office putting up with your shenanigans.

The reason I have $1,000 in coins is because I wanted to put my taxes on a credit card. The county offers this payment option, but charges you 102.5% of the total tax due (2.5% extra). The US Mint sells coins with no service charge and free shipping. It is my legal right to purchase coins from the US Mint. Considering the coins are legal tender, I want to pay with them. I have no legal obligation to the county other than paying my taxes with legal tender.
You found a way to circumnavigate the cash-advance fee for your credit card. Now you get to deal with being inconvenienced. I'm not saying the county is right to deny legal tender payment, but I AM saying you're being a bit childish about this. The county tacks 2.5% on to credit card payments because credit card companies charge those who accept credit card payment a fee. Did you know that? Did you know that sellers and others who accept credit cards get charged? Why should the hit be on the part of the seller or whoever you're paying? Often sellers take the hit, but in the case of the county, you owe $X, not $X-fee. They're not making a little extra off you.

Just deposit the coins into your bank account and get a check form the bank. Quit being a brat about this.

I stand by my original statement that you are being a smartass and should not be rewarded by the government office putting up with your shenanigans.
Smartass? Yes. But if why can't I expect them to put up with my shenanigans if I have to put up with theirs?

justalayman

Smartass? Yes. But if why can't I expect them to put up with my shenanigans if I have to put up with theirs?
well, it's like this. It doesn't cost them anything to argue their point. Even if you sue, you pay for their legal representation too by virtue of you being a taxpayer. You then also have to foot your own legal bill. As long as you are willing to spend a lot of money to force them to be required to comply with your demands, have at it. In the end, you might take a step back from the situation and try to determine who really did win in the end.

On top of that, I have found that my time is too valuable to play power trip games with people that don't really care and once it's over, won't remember who you are for more than about enough time for you to leave the building.

It's kind of the bite your nose to spite your face thing.

You also need to realize that the people you will be screwing with have no control over the situation. That would be like me hitting your brother because you pissed me off. Sure you'll know about it but since somebody else got hurt, what does it do to fulfill my need to hurt you.

Last edited:
Have you nothing better to do than to try to "teach a lesson" to someone who doesn't care one way or the other about you or your plight to pay without having to pay any fees? It's annoying, yes, but a minor inconvenience. If you take this to court, you'll be the direct cause of that much more taxpayer money wasted, money that could be buying textbooks or making a job somewhere, maybe funding the fire department or opening back up a music class. The person who wouldn't accept your 1,000 coins probably didn't have the time to count them all. Just because no one may have been in line then doesn't mean that there wouldn't have been anyone else for an hour. The person who wouldn't take the coins won't be the one to foot the legal bill, and won't face any consequence over this.

But it's just a waste of breath trying to make you realize how stupid YOU are being. Go ahead and sue and be a whiny idiot. It'll be more inconvenience and expense to you in the end than that you're already trying to get out of.

Kiawah

I've looked at that $1 direct program from the Mint, but figured what a hassle it would be to get those coins back into circulation. Nobody wants heavy $1 coins, they'd rather deal w/paper. I don't want to be walking around with a pocketful of coins.

But it should also be noted, that the mint doesn't want one to deposit the coins into a bank.

Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls

The intended purpose of the Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship program is to make $1 coins readily available to the public, at no additional cost, so they can be easily introduced into circulation—particularly by using them for retail transactions, vending, and mass transit. Increased circulation of $1 coins saves the Nation money. The immediate bank deposit of $1 coins ordered through this program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the program.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">