• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue turbotax?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miriamkt

I live in New Mexico, I went to file my taxes through turbo tax yesterday (February 13th 2015) and the site said I filed the day before (the 12th) I did not. After printing out the return that was filed there was an unknown bank account and routing number. I called turbo tax was sent to product support, then to fraud, then back to product support then to fraud to be told "It looks like you were a victim of fraud" WOW. Anyway both my federal and state taxes were filed. I did not approve or sign this. They told me there was nothing they could do to help me and closed my case (its the 14th 1 day later, I recieved an email saying the case was closed) They told me to talk to the IRS. My husband went to the federal building and was told to file with a fraud form as the cover sheet and refile them by sending them in. Here is my issue, I was obviously hacked through turbo tax. They filed my taxes without my consent, but the worst part is that mine, my husbands and my 4 childrens social security numbers are out there for anyone to use. Turbo tax offered no help to freeze my credit reports or ANYTHING. The worst part is I googled turbotax hacked and there has been word in the media for a few weeks now that turbo tax may have been hacked. Why was I not sent an email to inform me they were compromised and I should go shut down my account or SOMETHING. Anyway can I sue turbotax? Our information is out there forever, the best I have seen that I can do is freeze my credit reports, what about my children? THis is rather frustrating. Thank you for any advice, oh and P.S the articles I see all say only state taxes were filed so turbo tax is blaming the state agency's for the leak. My Federal taxes were filed as well as my state taxes through THEIR website. -Miriam

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in New Mexico, I went to file my taxes through turbo tax yesterday (February 13th 2015) and the site said I filed the day before (the 12th) I did not. After printing out the return that was filed there was an unknown bank account and routing number. I called turbo tax was sent to product support, then to fraud, then back to product support then to fraud to be told "It looks like you were a victim of fraud" WOW. Anyway both my federal and state taxes were filed. I did not approve or sign this. They told me there was nothing they could do to help me and closed my case (its the 14th 1 day later, I recieved an email saying the case was closed) They told me to talk to the IRS. My husband went to the federal building and was told to file with a fraud form as the cover sheet and refile them by sending them in. Here is my issue, I was obviously hacked through turbo tax. They filed my taxes without my consent, but the worst part is that mine, my husbands and my 4 childrens social security numbers are out there for anyone to use. Turbo tax offered no help to freeze my credit reports or ANYTHING. The worst part is I googled turbotax hacked and there has been word in the media for a few weeks now that turbo tax may have been hacked. Why was I not sent an email to inform me they were compromised and I should go shut down my account or SOMETHING. Anyway can I sue turbotax? Our information is out there forever, the best I have seen that I can do is freeze my credit reports, what about my children? THis is rather frustrating. Thank you for any advice, oh and P.S the articles I see all say only state taxes were filed so turbo tax is blaming the state agency's for the leak. My Federal taxes were filed as well as my state taxes through THEIR website. -Miriam
So if you had done your due diligence, you would have known they were hacked. You didn't. This is not TurboTax's fault. How were they to know it was not you filing on the other side of the computer?

LdiJ

Are you saying that the exact return that you would have filed, containing your entire family's information, correct income information, and correct everything else, but was filed but with some other person's bank account and routing number for direct deposit?

If so, what has been reported in the news is nothing remotely similar to what happened to you. What has been happening is that people have been stealing a single person's identity to create completely false returns with big refunds.

KevinB

TurboTax fraud

I had the same exact thing happen to me and my family. I logged into TurboTax yesterday and some else completed my tax return and had the refund sent to an a different bank routing and account number. All of my families personal information is now compromised and TurboTax is doing next to nothing to fix this. I have been on hold for hours over the last few days. Very frustrating.

davew128

and you aren't on the phone with TIGTA, the IRS, and the DA's office...why? TurboTax did nothing wrong here.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
TurboTax does not have a 'fraud' department. Their CS reps are trained NOT to say the word 'fraud'. And it's certainly not their fault if an account gets compromised; that happens because someone either used an insecure password, responded to a phish, or has an already compromised computer loaded with virii and malware. :cool:

LdiJ

Ok folks...

TurboTax is not exactly blameless here. Their security was not sufficient to guard against a hacker. Its no different than the Target hacking case, the Home Depot hacking case or any of the other times when major companies were hacked and people's information taken. I personally consider the TurboTax case to be pretty serious since tax returns contain so much information. These posters do have the right to be upset with TurboTax.

However, at the same time, a determined hacker is going to succeed, eventually, so its not entirely their fault either.

davew128

Actually TurboTax is blameless. They were NOT hacked. They were just the mechanism used to commit the fraud. Had someone filed a fraudulent paper return (which does happen) the same result would have happened.

LdiJ

Actually TurboTax is blameless. They were NOT hacked. They were just the mechanism used to commit the fraud. Had someone filed a fraudulent paper return (which does happen) the same result would have happened.
Dave, you might want to do some more googling on the subject. This is not a case of someone simply using TurboTax to submit a fraudulent return. (although its well known that that has happened). This appears to be a case were the actual TurboTax account was hacked. I was confused about it myself until I did some further research. OP is not the only person this has happened to.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Dave, you might want to do some more googling on the subject. This is not a case of someone simply using TurboTax to submit a fraudulent return. (although its well known that that has happened). This appears to be a case were the actual TurboTax account was hacked. I was confused about it myself until I did some further research. OP is not the only person this has happened to.
OP would not be the first person in the world to have an infected PC/insecure password/responded to a phishing email, either. :cool:

LdiJ

OP would not be the first person in the world to have an infected PC/insecure password/responded to a phishing email, either. :cool:
I cannot disagree...although that isn't where my research led me.

Bottom line, its a well known fact that TurboTax and other online tax programs have been used by identity thieves to create fraudulent tax returns. However based on the research that I have done it appears that there are also cases where fraudulent tax returns have been created by information obtained from TurboTax itself.

I'mTheFather

I cannot disagree...although that isn't where my research led me.

Bottom line, its a well known fact that TurboTax and other online tax programs have been used by identity thieves to create fraudulent tax returns. However based on the research that I have done it appears that there are also cases where fraudulent tax returns have been created by information obtained from TurboTax itself.
Um, the information obtained from TurboTax would be readily available through any of the methods previously mentioned... through no fault of TurboTax.

Until the FBI completes its investigation, no one can say for sure. However, Intuit had 2 outside security firms audit their system and neither found any indication of a breach.

Last edited:

ewilliams1978

The same thing happen to me

I live in Maryland and I went to do my taxes on Turbo Tax and could not file because someone used my information from their system and filed their taxes on the 12th of Feb. Is there something we can do. I now have to go through all of these things just to get my taxes filed. State and Federal. This is not right.

Erica

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I live in Maryland and I went to do my taxes on Turbo Tax and could not file because someone used my information from their system and filed their taxes on the 12th of Feb. Is there something we can do. I now have to go through all of these things just to get my taxes filed. State and Federal. This is not right.

Erica
Please start your own thread for your problem. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">