• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can mortgage deduction be split in divorce situation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momofone23

During 2013, it was court ordered that my ex and I split the mortgage/taxes on the marital home. The loan was in my ex's name, however we were both on the deed. The house sold in August. So I paid half for mortgage and taxes for the first 7 months. I come to find out that my ex went ahead and claimed 100% of the mortgage deduction on his taxes. He claims that his accountant told him it can not be split between two people. I find that hard to believe as I am sure there are similar circumstances amongst many divorced couples and mortgages. What is the rule on this? Thanks.

LdiJ

During 2013, it was court ordered that my ex and I split the mortgage/taxes on the marital home. The loan was in my ex's name, however we were both on the deed. The house sold in August. So I paid half for mortgage and taxes for the first 7 months. I come to find out that my ex went ahead and claimed 100% of the mortgage deduction on his taxes. He claims that his accountant told him it can not be split between two people. I find that hard to believe as I am sure there are similar circumstances amongst many divorced couples and mortgages. What is the rule on this? Thanks.
How much mortgage interest are we talking about? Its quite possible that 1/2 of 7 months worth of mortgage interest wouldn't be enough to make itemization worth while, therefore it could be a moot point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">