• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex hide income in a 1099 in order to pay lower child support, he lives in TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momofthreeinnys

I live in New York State, my ex lives in the Houtson, TX area with his new wife. He pays support for our three children, it is sporadic and is only $145 per week. He has a new employer in Houston, TX, I was told he is earning $72,000 per year, but he told the support collection unit in NYS that he is only earning $42,000 per year. I was informed that he is doing a 1099 for the rest of the income.

How can I request this information from the employer in TX and do they have to comply? We are going into court soon. He will have to submit his W-2 and income tax forms, but his new wife does his taxes, and they know how to scam the system.

What things should I be looking for and what kind of questions should I be asking?

Thank you.

mom of three in nys

Last edited:

Snipes5

You might have your attorney send them a nice note informing them that if they don't cough up the support you want, and on time, you'll be informing the IRS of their, and their employer's illegal activities.

It is against the law to give a 1099 to someone who is an employee. And it is of course against the law to willfully understate one's income on a tax return.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">