• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex legally tax 78.5% of my earned income credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theacesarewild

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Divorced in 2001, when filing for divorce ex would only agree to me the custodial parent being allowed to claim kids if i paid him as though he had claimed both kids out of my refund (earned income credit for my lower income bracket) which at the time he claimed he would only be able to file single an had no benefits! He makes $34k+ an isn't entitled to the earned income credit as i am, but with the wording in the divorce he's now stating he wants $3,222. from me which he's claiming is the difference as if he filed single verses claiming both kids, but i disagree with this as no variables were ever implemented which leaves me possibly owing him this amount out of my earned income credit/refund, he itemized an also the child tax credit which went into effect in 2003 more than benefits him to the point of owing him the bulk of my return if i should claim them, if i don't claim them i'm making roughly $14k a year an have to pay in, if i claim them then i possibly end up paying him as though he had claimed them, is this even legal to be in a divorce? allowing the noncustodial parent a portion of my refund no matter what he files on his tax forms an if so can i deduct it or get credit for paying him cash! I need help but don't know who to ask!

Snipes5

You need to ask these questions of your attorney. If you don't have one, get one, and go back to court to get this mess modified.

If the court documents say you have to do it, then you have to do it.

Sounds like your original attorney was a moron.

Snipes

theacesarewild

Thanks for your advise, figured that based on ex's reply to my email asking that he consider being fair on this, an he decided otherwise dragging up issues from the past, i'll see what i can do to straighten this mess out!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">