• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can One Parent Claim State And One Claim Federal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raknoell

What is the name of your state?New York
I am the costudial parent of my son, and was wondering if his mother could claim state and I could claim federal?

LdiJ

raknoell said:
What is the name of your state?New York
I am the costudial parent of my son, and was wondering if his mother could claim state and I could claim federal?
Unless NY laws are very different than the rest of the country, no, that can't be done.

esirena

yes you can, but do you have physical custody?, or does the mother?. the court will often rule on behalf of the child's parent who has physical custody and can award federal tax to you if this is your case, but the reason why a judge may grant this are very particular, meaning there has to be another reason greater than the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">