• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this be reported for fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

judik

What is the name of your state? California

A woman I know is renting rooms out into her Section 8 subsidized home. Now I know that is fraud, but she is funnelling the money through her son's bank account. Renters either make checks out to her son, or directly to the landlord (also fraud). The son does not report this "income" on his taxes, but gives her the credit card and she uses it to buy stuff for her family under his name.

I plan on reporting her and her landlord to section 8, but is this "income" her son receives but doesn't claim considered fraud to the Internal Revenue Service?

Snipes5

Well, it's "Unreported income". If they determine that he was intending to defraud the government, rather than just being stupid, then they can and will charge him with fraud.

They do have a fraud hotline. I don't know the number offhand, but you can get it from the IRS website, www.irs.gov

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">