• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can S-Corp Make Investments Before Tax?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

netfocus

Florida

I have a single member design business taxed as an S-Corp.

Can my corporation take business income and buy land or stocks as an investment by the business, therefore paying no personal income tax on these funds?

If No to the previous question, then could a C-Corp do something similar to this and hold investments without even paying corporate income tax? (such as General Electric or other holding companies that buy assets - did they pay corporate income tax first on the money they used to buy those assets? OR, did they buy those assets purely with company profits, tax free?)

Last edited:

LdiJ

Florida

I have a single member design business taxed as an S-Corp.

Can my corporation take business income and buy land or stocks as an investment by the business, therefore paying no personal income tax on these funds?

If No to the previous question, then could a C-Corp do something similar to this and hold investments without even paying corporate income tax? (such as General Electric or other holding companies that buy assets - did they pay corporate income tax first on the money they used to buy those assets? OR, did they buy those assets purely with company profits, tax free?)
The answer to both questions is no. The corporation can choose to use its profits to purchase investments, but the corporation cannot avoid tax on the profits, if a C corp, and the shareholders cannot avoid tax on the profits, if an S corp.

tranquility

I think the question involves an attempt to shield corporate earnings by buying capital assets as an investment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">