• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this year capital losses be deducted against a previous year capital gain?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sc101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I understand that you can offset your losses against your gains for the year in which it happens and then any excess losses up to $3000 can be deducted against income- and can be forwarded every year until it "runs out" so to say. Can it go backwards? I had a fairly good sized capital gain last year (2015), with no deductions. I just sold some stocks today and took a nasty hit for a substantial capital loss. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I understand that you can offset your losses against your gains for the year in which it happens and then any excess losses up to $3000 can be deducted against income- and can be forwarded every year until it "runs out" so to say. Can it go backwards? I had a fairly good sized capital gain last year (2015), with no deductions. I just sold some stocks today and took a nasty hit for a substantial capital loss. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/1212

sc101

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/1212
Thank you tranquility. It looks as if I do not qualify as the carrybacks are geared towards corporations. Also losses from 1256 contracts which I do not invest in are eligible.

(b) Other taxpayers:
(1) In general If a taxpayer other than a corporation has a net capital loss for any taxable year—
(A) the excess of the net short-term capital loss over the net long-term capital gain for such year shall be a short-term capital loss in the succeeding taxable year, and
(B) the excess of the net long-term capital loss over the net short-term capital gain for such year shall be a long-term capital loss in the succeeding taxable year.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">