• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you claim a fiance as a dependent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lissa23

:) What is the name of your state? CA
My fiance and I have been living together for the last two years. We both work and each make between $25,000 to $30,000 a year. We both mutual share all expenses of our home (rent, utilitites, food, ect). Can either one of us claim the other as a dependent? Also we are getting married in May so next year we will have to file married. He does has have daughter that he pays child support would it be better to file married joint or married seperatly. Also my annual income is more than his.

abezon

No!
Joint is almost always better than separate.
You may lose access to some credits (retirement saver's for example) when you get married. Talk to your tax pro when you have your taxes done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">