• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you renounce part of an estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yankees98a

NY

My mom recently died. My father is alive and adminstrator. He wants to split my moms stuff 3 ways between him and my 2 brothers. Her will is for him to get everything and if he's not around us equally. Can he renounce 2/3 of her estate so that it goes to my brother and I. We are concerned about federal and NY state (and NYC) taxes

seniorjudge

yankees98a said:
NY

My mom recently died. My father is alive and adminstrator. He wants to split my moms stuff 3 ways between him and my 2 brothers. Her will is for him to get everything and if he's not around us equally. Can he renounce 2/3 of her estate so that it goes to my brother and I. We are concerned about federal and NY state (and NYC) taxes
I will answer part of your question: Yes, an heir may renounce part or all of a bequest/grant/devise.

I will leave the tax answers to someone who knows something about taxes.

yankees98a

And it could be an item, like I renounce 2/3 of a House, or 2/3 of a bank acct, and the rest shall go according to the next names listed in the will.

yankees98a

Also would a simple letter saying I renounch so and so and it can be transfer to the next party mentioned in the will be sufficient?

seniorjudge

yankees98a said:
Also would a simple letter saying I renounch so and so and it can be transfer to the next party mentioned in the will be sufficient?
I don't know if a simple letter will do (ask the probate court clerk) but you certainly can't direct where it is to go.

If you want it to go to a certain person, then get it and give it to that person.

Otherwise, if you give it up, you give it up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">