• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancellation of Debt 1099c

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dixxie44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I have received two cancellation of debt 1099s. One for a mortgage, and one for an unsecured cosigned business loan by an individual.

I have read these are not taxable if insolvency is present, which it was, and although these were issued for 2009, they were both discharged in Jan 2010 by chapter 7.

Original file date was Sept 11 2009. Does this matter the discharge happened in a different tax year? Insolvency seems much harder to show.

Thank you.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I have received two cancellation of debt 1099s. One for a mortgage, and one for an unsecured cosigned business loan by an individual.

I have read these are not taxable if insolvency is present, which it was, and although these were issued for 2009, they were both discharged in Jan 2010 by chapter 7.

Original file date was Sept 11 2009. Does this matter the discharge happened in a different tax year? Insolvency seems much harder to show.

Thank you.
They were discharged in relationship to a bankruptcy. It doesn't matter that they were different tax years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">