• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancellation of debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaystadpole1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama I divorced in May 2009. We had a cancellation of debt in Sept 2009 on an RV trailer in the amount of $10,000. My ex was the primary and i was the co-signor. I paid $5000 in cash myself to get the bank to settle on the other 10,000. Who has to claim the debt as income on taxes? Or do we have to split the 10,000 debt?

FlyingRon

As far as the iRS is concerned, you each are responsible for half. It doesn't matter "primary" vs. "cosigner" nor what you actually paid that wasn't forgiven. Of course, the IRS just wants someone to pay tax on it, so if you guys can work out an agreement all the income can go to one person.

LdiJ

As far as the iRS is concerned, you each are responsible for half. It doesn't matter "primary" vs. "cosigner" nor what you actually paid that wasn't forgiven. Of course, the IRS just wants someone to pay tax on it, so if you guys can work out an agreement all the income can go to one person.
For practical purposes that probably isn't accurate. Even though they were co-borrowers the 1099C is going to get reported in only one social security number, and that is almost guaranteed to be the primary social security number.

Its also not 100% guaranteed that the 1099C will get issued for 2009. It should, but sometimes there is a lag.

I think this is not that easy a question. There are all kinds of things going on. The first is the practical LdiJ mentioned, the wife will have her SSN on the 1099-C.

The next is the basic theory for COD income. The person who's debt was canceled had gotten benefit from the debt and so when repayment was forgiven the borrower has, in a very real sense, received "income". I'd have to do a bit of research on IRS treatment, as I don't know it offhand, but the same would not apply to a co-signer. I'd say the borrower has the COD and not the co-signer.

Here, of course, we have a co-signer actually getting benefit from the loan, but yet Alabama is not a community property state. I think any real answer would require research and a lot more facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">