• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cap. Gains on Real Estate w/HELOC attached

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dschwartz69

Arizona - I may soon be selling a house that I formerly lived in but am now renting out. Because we lived in the house less than 2 of the ast 5 years (and have no plans to move back into the house), I understand that I am responsible for the capital gains on the proceeds of the house sale.

My question is: are cap. gains determined directly from the SellingPrice - (Purchase Price + Improvements)? We currently have a Home Equity Line of Credit on that house that was taken out before we began renting. When I'm estimating Cap Gains, should I subtrace what it costs to pay off the HELOC (at the time of sale) before apply the cap gains percentage or does that not factor in?

thanks,

David.

abezon

Mortgages are irrelevant. Your gain is the selling price - costs of sale - adjusted basis. Adjusted basis is the original purchase price + costs of purchase + improvements - depreciation allowed or allowable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">