• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Account Imbalance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cfspartan

What is the name of your state? WY

This sounds like a ridiculous question, but I've never been a math whiz.

I have a company with a partner 50/50 ownership. He has been distributed a total of $94,588 while I have only been distributed $61,891. He has mentioned that he wants to cut me a check for the difference, but is saying that he truly only needs to write a check for half of the $32,696 difference? I am so confused trying to figure this out. It made sense when he explained it but now I can't make it make sense.

CFSPARTAN

Some Random Guy

he has received $32,696 more than you.

If you want to be even, you can either
A) Have the COMPANY write you a check for $32,696
B) Have your PARTNER write you a check for $16,348 (half)

If your partner writes the check, he is reducing his total distribution while adding to yours.

tranquility

When I see "capital account imbalance" I assume an accounting question. When I look at the post, I see some numbers which really don't have any meaning without context. If everything adds up, there is no imbalance. If they don't, the reasons why need to be stated with a lot more facts. (There can be a "distribution" without any cash hitting anyone's pocket.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">