• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital contribution deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mspatts

What is the name of your state? - Virginia

I have been operating a sole proprietorship taking income for a number of years, and just created a single-member LLC to protect my personal assets as my business grows. I will also be electing to file my LLC taxes as a corporation so that i receive the lower tax rate versus passing it through to my personal taxes (at a higher rate)...

I am aware that any capital contributions i make to the company are tax deductible for the LLC. However, how do i treat these on my personal taxes?

1) for example, the cost to incorporate was paid for by personal funds before the LLC existed. so can i deduct these costs on my personal tax return as a business expense?

2) Also, I would like to take the remaining income I have from my sole proprietorship and combine it with new income from the LLC to purchase some computer equipment. Before my LLC, i would have been able to deduct the (section 179) business expense from my personal income.. However, if i contribute this income to the LLC, and then purchase the equipment through the LLC, would i be able to deduct the contribution as a business expense on my personal income? Would i then still be able to deduct the expense of the equipment from the LLC's income?

3) what kind of paperwork/forms/documents would i need to use for all this stuff?

Thanks,
Mark

LdiJ

I sincerely agree with Ginny's advice. There are several things that you don't clearly understand (such as personal tax rates vs corporate tax rates as one example) and I believe that it would be in your best interest to have a sit down meeting with a tax professional who is well versed in small business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">