• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Gain on a property jointly owned with parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

webuser

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? VA

I jointly own a property with my parents and it was all of our primary residence until I moved out 6 years ago. It has continued to be my parents' primary residence until now. During the entire duration of our ownership, I have been solely responsible for the mortgage payments.

We are evaluating sale of property and I wanted to understand how house sale capital gain taxation and exclusions would apply to each of us.

Thanks in advance.

abezon

The sale will be treated as separate sales: your & theirs. They can exclude up to $500,000 of gain on the house since they owned it & lived in it for 2 of the 5 years prior to sale. You will not be able to do so & will pay capital gains taxes on your share of the profits. This is probably 15%.

webuser

Is my share automatically 1/3 since there are 3 names on the title, which includes my dad, my mother and I.

Thanks again.

abezon

Depends on how the title is worded & state law. For example, if it reads M&D, Husband & Wife, as Joint tenants with right of survivorship with Son", I would read that as they have 1/2 & you have 1/2. If it says "M & D & S as JTROS", I'd interpret that to mean everyone owns 1/3. If your state allows unbalanced ownership with JTROS, the split is however the deed describes it. If ownership is as tenants in common, it can be split any way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">