• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Gains and 2 Year Residency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sonny6

What is the name of your state? Washington State.
My wife and I are buying an investment property to restore and turn over. The Seattle area is still seeing decent appreciation so we haven't made any decision about when to resell, likely in a year or two depending on the market. Our understanding is for a year the tax rate drops to 15% and then if we occupy for 2 out of five years there won't be capital gains (up to the limits). Our present house is very marketable as a rental so we are considering moving into the fixer upper for the tax benefits. It will be vacant 6-12 months while I work on it. Are there methods to show that we occupy the house while I am working on it? What's the best stragedy here? If market conditions are really good in less than 1 - 2 years, I'm willing to simply take the tax hit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">