• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Gains?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wabtczn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I'm trying to determine if capital gains taxes apply in this situation, and my mind is spinning in circles.. think I'm over analyzing, and need someone to help me stop it!

Deed for house was issued in 1973 at a cost of $34,000. Since that point an additonal $20,00 of improvements were made.. new garage, furnace, roofing, windows, siding, etc. In 2001 a quit claim deed was issued for two children. In 2008, the house was listed on the market for $55,900. One of the children bought out the other, and gave $27,000 as buy out.

Is that since that is HALF the value of the original basis; does this wash? and how is that portrayed in the tax filing area?

Thanks so much for any guidance!
WABTCZN

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I'm trying to determine if capital gains taxes apply in this situation, and my mind is spinning in circles.. think I'm over analyzing, and need someone to help me stop it!

Deed for house was issued in 1973 at a cost of $34,000. Since that point an additonal $20,00 of improvements were made.. new garage, furnace, roofing, windows, siding, etc. In 2001 a quit claim deed was issued for two children. In 2008, the house was listed on the market for $55,900. One of the children bought out the other, and gave $27,000 as buy out.

Is that since that is HALF the value of the original basis; does this wash? and how is that portrayed in the tax filing area?

Thanks so much for any guidance!
WABTCZN
The house had a basis of 54,000

When the children were gifted the house that became their basis. Giving each of them a 27,000 basis in their respective half of the property.

The child who sold their half of the house sold it for 27,000. Therefore that child had no capital gain or loss unless there were some selling expenses, in which case there might be a small capital loss.

The child who sold, needs to report the sale on Schedule D.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">