• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital gains qualifier

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pj1569

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL
I know that if you move because of employment, you can avoid capital gains. But can the house be put on the market before employment is found and sold when employment is found because of the time it takes to sell a house? I guess I'm really asking is when does the IRS look to see if you qualify, when the property is sold or listed? :confused:

LdiJ

pj1569 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL
I know that if you move because of employment, you can avoid capital gains. But can the house be put on the market before employment is found and sold when employment is found because of the time it takes to sell a house? I guess I'm really asking is when does the IRS look to see if you qualify, when the property is sold or listed? :confused:

That is actually an interesting question. I think it would depend on whether or not you had any hope of employment in your current area.....whether you could demonstrate that moving is not a choice, but a necessity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">