• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Gains on Selling a house to my LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justinl

[Repost from Real Estate Law] OREGON - Can I sell a house that I lived in for two of the past five years, to an LLC that I am a member of (not sole member, though) and get the Federal Capital Gains exemption on home sale (profit is less than $250K)?

shortbus

How much of the LLC do you own? What is the purpose of the transaction? (ie any business purpose, or is it manufactured to avoid tax)

justinl

I own 1/3 of LLC (with brother and father). The LLC will be a holding company for rental properties (my house being the second) for investment purposes. A partial reason for the sale to the LLC is to take advantage of tax exemption, but also to limit my liability should I get sued for one of the rentals.

shortbus

Ask a real estate atty. It sounds legit, though the govt might consider you to be selling only 2/3 of the house (because you end up with 1/3 of it at the end of the transaction) and limit your cap gain exemption accordingly.

abezon

The problem I see is that this is a related party transaction. By selling the home to the LLC, you are getting a free step-up in basis, which will allow you to claim a larger depreciation deduction. If you were simply to start renting the home, you'd have no step up in basis & lower depreciation.

I suspect that the IRS regulations will require that you maintain your basis for your 1/3 interest, while your brother & dad get a step-up in basis to 1/3 of FMV. The answer may depend on whether your LLC is taxed as a partnership or corporation. I strongly suggest you consult an enrolled agent or tax attorney & get a formal opinion. Be sure the person you hire has malpractice insurance in case they're wrong.

LdiJ

abezon said:
The problem I see is that this is a related party transaction. By selling the home to the LLC, you are getting a free step-up in basis, which will allow you to claim a larger depreciation deduction. If you were simply to start renting the home, you'd have no step up in basis & lower depreciation.

I suspect that the IRS regulations will require that you maintain your basis for your 1/3 interest, while your brother & dad get a step-up in basis to 1/3 of FMV. The answer may depend on whether your LLC is taxed as a partnership or corporation. I strongly suggest you consult an enrolled agent or tax attorney & get a formal opinion. Be sure the person you hire has malpractice insurance in case they're wrong.
I just recently did some serious research on this particular issue, and I definitely agree with you if the LLC is being taxed as an S corp. However, I did not get into partnership issues on that case study....so I don't know the answer there. If its a partnership he might be better off contributing the house to the partnership as contributed capital.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">