• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital gains/T.I.C.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eagerseller

What is the name of your state? CA

I'm an owner of a T.I.C. (tenancy in common) in San Francisco. I've owned 1 of 3 units for less than 2 years. Last September I went off title because of low credit scores so my partners could refinance. I transferred my interest to one of the partners. We've just obtained financing, or they have rather, and I am still off title.

I am wanting to sell my unit to a new party, but I'd like to remain off title. I have read that often times, capital gains taxes can be avoided for TIC owners. If I remain off title, what will be the tax consequences for either us? Or, if I must go back on title, will I have capital gains tax? I've owned less than 2 years, and will make a sizeable profit.

divgradcurl

I have read that often times, capital gains taxes can be avoided for TIC owners.
Where did you read that?

If I remain off title, what will be the tax consequences for either us?
I don't understand -- if you are not on the title, you don't own anything. If you don't have a title to the property, you have nothing to sell. Maybe you can explain your situation a little more thoroughly -- when you said that you transfered your interest, do you mean you quit claimed your deed to the other tenants, or what?

E

eagerseller

Originally, I transferred the interest so that I would not show up on title & would avoid further financing complications. The other 2 owners had to obtain financing without me. I was only going to be off for 2 months, then the title company said I'd just go right back on as soon as I was ready. Well, financing took until May to get completed.

I still pay my mortgage & taxes to the TIC group. Yes, I believe it was a quick claim deed. Essentially, the partners would be selling my unit since they are the one's on title, but there's no question with the group that I'm the owner & that I'll receive the proceeds from the sale. There'll just have to be a demand for payment to me at the close of escrow.

So I'm uncertain of the tax consequences.

abezon

Have them put you back on the title so that you meet the 2 year test. (I assume we're talking about your primary residence here, as otherwise your question makes no sense.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">