• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Gains tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rpt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Can capital gains tax on the sale of farm land in Ohio be spread out over a number of years instead of being all due in the year of the sale?

I seem to remember a friend telling me they did that back in the 1990's. Could the law have changed since then?

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Can capital gains tax on the sale of farm land in Ohio be spread out over a number of years instead of being all due in the year of the sale?

I seem to remember a friend telling me they did that back in the 1990's. Could the law have changed since then?
He couldn't do it back then either. You're taxed in the year you receive the money.

tranquility

While dave128 is correct in the second sentence, I question the first. There are such things called installment sales where a single property is sold over time.

LdiJ

I think that the OP is talking about income averaging. That has been gone for quite a while, but I cannot remember if it was still around in any part of the 90's or not.

FlyingRon

Is there a baseline for "capitol gains" that are not considered, like with the sale of your primary house? Sounds like it is a business sale...
It's CAPITAL gain.

There is a capital gains exclusion for your primary residence if you meet the requirements ($250,000 per person). The other commonly used method for business/investment properties is to roll the proceeds into a like-kind purchanse (1033 exchange).

The suggestion for installment sale is a good one:
Tax Topics - Topic 705 Installment Sales

davew128

To the question:Can capital gains tax on the sale of farm land in Ohio be spread out over a number of years instead of being all due in the year of the sale?
The answer is yes. Not:
Are you having a senior moment? You're ASSUMING he's referring to an installment sale when no such indication was given. If you get the entire amount at the time of sale, its taxable that year. As LdiJ points out, the question is geared towards income averaging.

tranquility

Who's assuming now?

There was a question. You made an assumption which could have been what the OP was thinking about and answered the question. Within that assumption, your answer was correct. I looked at the OP's problem and gave a possible solution. By answering only your assumption, you did not help the OP and would tend to have the OP think there was no solution to the problem.

Senior moment? No, just a guy trying to help. You?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">