• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

capital gains on transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjmint

In 1997 I opened a business with real estate. With advise of counsel I put it all in a Sub-S corp. Now I want to retire and sell the business but keep the real estate to lease. For legal reasons the Business must stay in the S-corp name. How do I get the real estate out without paying capital gains? That is 60,000 to 100,000 and it is not really being sold, I just want it in another name so I can sell the corp without it.

LdiJ

mjmint said:
In 1997 I opened a business with real estate. With advise of counsel I put it all in a Sub-S corp. Now I want to retire and sell the business but keep the real estate to lease. For legal reasons the Business must stay in the S-corp name. How do I get the real estate out without paying capital gains? That is 60,000 to 100,000 and it is not really being sold, I just want it in another name so I can sell the corp without it.
If you have sufficient "basis" in the S-corp you can take the real estate as a distribution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">