• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capitol gains liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lewiston

What is the name of your state?California.Good day,thanks for the forum.I currently own a vacation property which i will have have owned for 1 year this September.I want to sell it,as it has appreciated a bit.According to my research my Fed liability will be 15% based on filing jointly with my wife,as our combined income is in the $50,000.00 range,and I seem to recall California tax will be 5% for a total liability of 20% Is this sound? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.Thanks again.Mark. :)

LdiJ

Lewiston said:
What is the name of your state?California.Good day,thanks for the forum.I currently own a vacation property which i will have have owned for 1 year this September.I want to sell it,as it has appreciated a bit.According to my research my Fed liability will be 15% based on filing jointly with my wife,as our combined income is in the $50,000.00 range,and I seem to recall California tax will be 5% for a total liability of 20% Is this sound? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.Thanks again.Mark. :)
It definitely shouldn't be more than that. However, please remember that capital gains is only paid on the "profit"....selling price minus basis.

Justme_2

Lewiston said:
Would it not be a short term gain as the property was not held for a year? Maybe I misunderstand the situation but it will not be a year until this coming Sept, right?

Lewiston

Thanks for the replys.I should have included the sale would be post September,so it would be over one year.Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">