• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caretaker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bikerfritz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? HI

Hi, i could work a certain amount of hours a week (27) as a maintenance/caretaker person at an estate. As the only compensation, i would live there for free with all utilities included.

Would that count as income?
How would i be taxed?

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? HI

Hi, i could work a certain amount of hours a week (27) as a maintenance/caretaker person at an estate. As the only compensation, i would live there for free with all utilities included.

Would that count as income?
How would i be taxed?

Thanks
What is the fair market value of the rent and utilities?

justalayman

Thanks for your answer.
He would not employ me, i would work as an independent contractor...
It's almost certain you were an employee and not an IC, regardless of how he acted. He can't consider you an IC when the law says you were an employee.

LdiJ

It's almost certain you were an employee and not an IC, regardless of how he acted. He can't consider you an IC when the law says you were an employee.
Well he CAN and probably will whether the OP accepts the job or someone else does. Until he treats someone as an IC and that person reports him to the IRS and the IRS rules that they should have been treated as an employee, he will continue to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">