• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cash-out refinance,interest decuct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dd2008

What is the name of your state? CA
I did a cash-out refinance couple years ago, and I didn't know that if the cash-out exceeds 100k limit, the interest is not deductable. But I did put all the cash-out proceeds to mutual fund and stock investment. And on the tax return I claimed all the home mortgage interest as deductable interest. Now I just realized that if the cash-out exceeds 100k, I can't deduct the interest that I payed on those mortgage which exceeds the limit. But I may be able to claim those interest as the investment expense. I roughly rerun the previous return, it actually gave me the same result(claim as mortgage, or claim as investment int expense). My question here is, will I get audit? The refinance was done several years ago. Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA
I did a cash-out refinance couple years ago, and I didn't know that if the cash-out exceeds 100k limit, the interest is not deductable. But I did put all the cash-out proceeds to mutual fund and stock investment. And on the tax return I claimed all the home mortgage interest as deductable interest. Now I just realized that if the cash-out exceeds 100k, I can't deduct the interest that I payed on those mortgage which exceeds the limit. But I may be able to claim those interest as the investment expense. I roughly rerun the previous return, it actually gave me the same result(claim as mortgage, or claim as investment int expense). My question here is, will I get audit? The refinance was done several years ago. Thanks.
That was a very unusual investment choice. I certainly hope that your stock and mutual fund returns were greater than the interest you paid for cashing out part of your equity.

Investment interest expense is subject to the 2% limitation for a schedule A deduction, and mortgage interest is not, therefore there would be some variation depending on your AGI.

However, that is not one of those things that generally raises an audit flag. The IRS has reinstituted random audits, so there is a chance that you could get hit there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">