• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Care Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greatdad_1911

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

History:
1) Unmarried
2) 1 year old son
3) I paid all 2008 childcare expenses; $5000+
4) Mother of child wants to claim him as her dependent
5) I would like to claim childcare expenses

I'm I able to claim any tax exemptions or credit from the money I spent in 2008 if she claims him as a dependent?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

History:
1) Unmarried
2) 1 year old son
3) I paid all 2008 childcare expenses; $5000+
4) Mother of child wants to claim him as her dependent
5) I would like to claim childcare expenses

I'm I able to claim any tax exemptions or credit from the money I spent in 2008 if she claims him as a dependent?
The child care credit goes with the dependency exemption, therefore mom cannot claim the child and you claim the daycare expenses.

If you and mom do not live in the same household then you could claim the child as a dependent and claim the child care expenses, and mom could claim head of household and EIC (assuming mom would qualify for EIC and assuming that mom would agree, as she would be in control).

If the two of you live in the same household, then whichever one of you claims the child must claim the child for all purposes. If you cannot agree, then the child must be claimed by the parent with the highest AGI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">