• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Care Deduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Washington

Total child care approx. $4000
Annual income under $30,000
Business expenses: $250

Claiming one dependent and head of household.

Is it worth it to claim the child care?
By deducting child care and business expenses is it even going to bring me down a tax bracket or am I as low as it gets?

LdiJ

Washington

Total child care approx. $4000
Annual income under $30,000
Business expenses: $250

Claiming one dependent and head of household.

Is it worth it to claim the child care?
By deducting child care and business expenses is it even going to bring me down a tax bracket or am I as low as it gets?
The child care credit is a very worthwhile credit to claim. And no, your income is not low enough that it wouldn't help you. It WILL help you.

davew128

If I knew, I wouldn't be asking.
Sigh. What happened when you looked at your tax return? Or read the instructions to the dependent care credit form? Or actually, I don't know, ran the numbers? Oh wait, you didn't do any of those prudent things. :rolleyes:

LdiJ

Sigh. What happened when you looked at your tax return? Or read the instructions to the dependent care credit form? Or actually, I don't know, ran the numbers? Oh wait, you didn't do any of those prudent things. :rolleyes:
While I understand your point, I could tell, with just the numbers she gave, that she would benefit from the credit. Couldn't you? Or don't you normally do many lower income returns?

It pushes her to the point were she completely zeros out with regular tax, and shoves some of the child tax credit into the refundable additional child tax credit. So it gives her a benefit of over 800.00.

davew128

While I understand your point, I could tell, with just the numbers she gave, that she would benefit from the credit. Couldn't you? Or don't you normally do many lower income returns?
I've done returns (recently) with $30k AGI and zero taxable income....so no I can't look at the numbers as given and assume anything. All it would take is a mortgage payment and TI could have been zero for all I know, in which case there would have been no care credit.

LdiJ

I've done returns (recently) with $30k AGI and zero taxable income....so no I can't look at the numbers as given and assume anything. All it would take is a mortgage payment and TI could have been zero for all I know, in which case there would have been no care credit.
I have done 30k returns with zero taxable income too, but this one has only one dependent child and she didn't mention any itemized deductions. Also, it would be hard for someone with a 30k income to finance a mortgage high enough to take them over the 8400.00 HOH standard deduction...at today's interest rates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">