• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gaems143

What is the name of your state? Georgia

If my ex-wife has sole custody of our two children, she does not work, I pay child support and she has remarried; can I claim my two children on my taxes without her permission or her signing an 8332? It is not addressed in our divorce papers.

Shay-Pari'e

gaems143 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

If my ex-wife has sole custody of our two children, she does not work, I pay child support and she has remarried; can I claim my two children on my taxes without her permission or her signing an 8332? It is not addressed in our divorce papers.
You need to get it addressed, because only one of you can claim the deduction. As of right now, she has sole custody and can claim the deduction. The child needs to live with you for 6 months out of the year for you to claim it.

gaems143

Child Deduction

What about an excemption or as a dependent? Again, she provides no support because she doesn't work. I have visitation every other weekend and certain holidays?

dallas702

NO! At the very least you need a court order giving you the right to claim one or both of the children for tax purposes. Even then, you still have to file the form.

You wife and her new hubby are probably very happy to have those kids as deductions.....whether she works or not.

Yeah, you get screwed at both ends (but that's why these details should be worked out during the divorce proceedings).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">