• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sparrow1042

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

For years I have been adding my child support on my taxes on line 21 as "other income." I titled the income as CHILD SUPPORT. I did this because I was told by a tax preparer years ago that this is where other incomes go. I did not know that child support was not considered taxable income until this year. This has been going on for about 10 years. Will I be able to hire a lawyer to get back this money from the IRS? I know this seems far fetched but I had to ask. I labelled it child support how come it was not picked up? Everything else is the other way around.

davew128

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

For years I have been adding my child support on my taxes on line 21 as "other income." I titled the income as CHILD SUPPORT. I did this because I was told by a tax preparer years ago that this is where other incomes go. I did not know that child support was not considered taxable income until this year. This has been going on for about 10 years. Will I be able to hire a lawyer to get back this money from the IRS? I know this seems far fetched but I had to ask. I labelled it child support how come it was not picked up? Everything else is the other way around.
So amend the last 3 years to remove the income. As for it "not being picked up" YOU made the determination it was taxable.

Sparrow1042

Re: child support

I did make the determination it was taxable so I do understand your point. As for the useable advice, do I file a protective claim with the IRS or do I need a lawyer. I am hoping to recover 3 years but according to what I just read, I might only get to recover the last 2 yrs.

As for the amount being just a little, correcting this year brought me an additional 2500.

Thanks, E

TinkerBelleLuvr

Get an amended return done quickly. Dave is normally spot on with tax info, but I've always understood the deadline to be the last filing tax day. The IRS may be able to answer that question today.

You may also want to research www.irs.gov for further information.

dmcc10880

At least amend your return for 2007 today/tomorrow. Then worry about 2008 and 09 sometime in the next year. For 2010, file accordingly. No need for an attorney.

Sparrow1042

Re: child support

Thank you all. I am going to file a 1040x, best I learned that is the form I need to use. I will do this for 2007 tomorrow and worry about the other years in the next few days or so. I really hope this works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">