• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Arrearages/X's Pension Plan/CA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChristiLChase

What is the name of your state? California

I am receiving Court Ordered Child Support Arrearages, from my X's Pension Plan. I went through a Child Support Collection place, called Child Support Networks. During the process of my X obtaining an Attorney to fight it, Child Support Networks hired me an Attorney. (He lost) My check I receive each month, from his Pension Plan, goes to my Attorney, she takes out her 20%, she forwards a check to CSN, they take out their 20%, then CSN forwards me the remainder of the money. So my check I receive, is a check from CSN's account. My question: The Benefit Fund (X's Pension Plan) has sent me a 1099. Since Child Support is not taxable, how do I go about doing the right thing with the 1099 I received? I did my taxes on-line, but have not submitted them, because I don't know what to do, as far as this 1099 issue. Please help!!

Thank You, Christine Chase

Last edited:

Snipes5

Contact the pension plan and find out why they sent you a 1099. If it is your ex's pension fund, there is no reason I can think of that they would be sending you a 1099, unless it is actually a joint fund or something.

Also, are you sure the 1099 is not coming from the Collectors who are getting you the money?

Snipes

ChristiLChase

Thanks for replying so quickly.

The 1099 definately came from the Benefit Fund. We have been divorced since 1980, so I think a Joint Account would be out of the question, I would think anyway.

But Thank You, I will contact the Benefit Fund on Monday. What if they tell me they sent it because I have to pay taxes on it?

Also, in all reality, who, if anyone, should have received a 1099 from them? (Benefit fund)

Do you think I should submit it with my taxes, and explain to the IRS that it is Child Support Arrearages, or do you think that would really make a mess? I will see what I can find out Monday, and again Thank You very much for your reply. I just haven't known where to turn.

Hope your having a good day,
Sincerely, Christine Chase

LdiJ

ChristiLChase said:
The 1099 definately came from the Benefit Fund. We have been divorced since 1980, so I think a Joint Account would be out of the question, I would think anyway.

But Thank You, I will contact the Benefit Fund on Monday. What if they tell me they sent it because I have to pay taxes on it?

Also, in all reality, who, if anyone, should have received a 1099 from them? (Benefit fund)

Do you think I should submit it with my taxes, and explain to the IRS that it is Child Support Arrearages, or do you think that would really make a mess? I will see what I can find out Monday, and again Thank You very much for your reply. I just haven't known where to turn.

Hope your having a good day,
Sincerely, Christine Chase
In my opinion for the purposes of YOUR taxes, you should ignore it. You should still contact the benefit fund and try to get them to correct the obvious error (the 1099 should have have been issued to your ex) however you should still get your refund in the normal amount of time.

Keep good records. You are eventually going to have to address this with the IRS unless the benefit fund makes the necessary corrections....in fact, even if they make the corrections you may STILL have to address it with the IRS. You need to be able to show the paper trail that resulted in your recieving the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">