• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Taxable as "Gifts"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thea

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My 15-year old child has been living with after our divorce until this year when he wanted to live with his father to go to high school. We are operating under a custody agreement which has never been ammended which says that because he lives equal time in both households, neither of us can ask for child support. Now he's not living with me 50% of the time because his father has moved far away and during the school week he's there and on weekends with me.

I have been sending "child support" to my ex because he makes less money and I thought it was fair even though i don't have to unless the agreement is ammended. But apparently, at this point (and for 2005) because the agreement is still in place in its original state, these payments may be taxable to me as "gifts." Is this true? Is there any other option?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">