• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Tax Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leb7243

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

I currently have a fiancee with two children under the age of 17. I am claiming the 3 of them as my dependents. Can I legally file for Child Tax Credit on the children? They are not blood relatives and I am not married to their mother. I list them as fosterchildren in the exemptions portion of the 1040. They were not placed in my care by any agency. They just simply live with me going on 6 years now. Someone told me that I can claim child tax credit and get an extra $2000 on my return. Sounds good, but I don't want to put out any flags for an audit. H&R Block has been doing my taxes for years now, but they don't explore that option because the children are not blood related.

Snipes5

If H&R Block won't explore that option, that should be your first clue.

This year's "guarantee" is highest refund, or it's free. Take them up on it.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">