• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child tax credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

summersr

Michigan is the state
What in the heck is going on? I have three children 10yrs,17yrs and 18 yrs, now only one is a qualifying, child the 10 yr old. Are there any loop holes? My 18 yr old is bi polar and is not stable (unable to function with out help) still living with me and being supported by me. My 17yr old is legally blind as a result of a brain tumor.

Snipes5

If they are disabled (eligible for SSI) you can get Earned Income Credit for them. Child Tax Credit phases out with age, period.

Snipes

summersr

Thank you for that information. We were in a little denial and have not applied for SSI as of yet, I guess we should do that.

LdiJ

summersr said:
Thank you for that information. We were in a little denial and have not applied for SSI as of yet, I guess we should do that.
The 17 year old should still be eligible for earned income credit no matter what. The 17 and 18 year old are not eligible for the child tax credit however, therefore if your income is above the EIC level, then you only would get the dependency exemption for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">