• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Children and self-employment taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktlcorn

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My 12 year-old son has a paper route. He started in June. He is an independent carrier and no taxes are withheld from his check. He earned about $3200 in 2004. I crunched the numbers in Turbo Tax and it says he owes a hefty amount for self-employment tax (about $440). The IRS website gives conflicting information. In one place it says that children under 18 are exempt from self-employment taxes, in another it says anyone who earns over $400 has to pay it regardless of age. So which is it? He doesn't have the money to pay it, though I suppose he has until April 15th to save it. Will he have to pay into Social Insecurity? And if not, what forms do I use and how do I file it? He has no other income other than the $3200.

Thanks,
Christy

Snipes5

Invest $100 and take it to a professional. I'm betting there are expenses you didn't account for.

He pays into Social Security through his tax return, that's part of what "Self Employment Tax" is.

This coming year, have him save some of the money he earns, that's where the money comes from to pay his taxes. He should save about 20% each week.

Snipes

abezon

A newspaper carrier under 18 does not pay SE tax. There should be a box to check or a marginal entry you can make on the schedule C or SE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">