• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child's income question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glendeek

I have always had an easy time with my taxes. I have never had enough expenses to itemize so i just use an on-line tax tool and be done with it. My 14 year old son has been working and they do not take taxes out of his checks. How should I file? I noticed that I can list it on my return but only with a W-2. He does not receive a W-2. Should he use the EZ form? Does he have some kind of exeption for being a student? It is not like he brings in a ment, about 3K/year. We are in TX. Any advice would be appreciated.

glendeek

still questions...

abezon said:
He files his own return & notes that he's being claimed as a dependent (by you).
if my son earned less than 2000 on a regular gross 1099... he does not have to file, right?

If your parent (or someone else) can claim you as a dependent, use this chart to see if you must file a return.
In this chart, unearned income includes taxable interest, ordinary dividends, and capital gain distributions. Earned income includes wages, tips, and taxable scholarship and fellowship grants. Gross income is the total of your unearned and earned income.
If your gross income was $3,100 or more, you usually cannot be claimed as a dependent unless you were under age 19 or a student and under age 24. For details, use TeleTax topic 354 (see page 6).
You must file a return if any of the following apply.
Your unearned income was over $800.

Your earned income was over $4,850.

Your gross income was more than the larger of—

$800, or

Your earned income (up to $4,600) plus $250.

Snipes5

What kind of a 1099 was it? You don't have to tell us the filing rules for dependents.

If he received a 1099, he MAY need to file. A tax professional can easily sort this out for you.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">