• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civel Service health ins as itemized deduction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debdeb56

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oklahoma
As a CSRS retiree can my health insurance premiums be used as an itemized deduction for ins premiums? My Notice of Annuity lists the Gross monthly amount, then shows the monthly health benefits, other deductions (state and Fed tax) and then the net monthly payment.

ecmst12

Health insurance premiums are usually taken pre-tax, meaning you're not taxed on that income already. So there's no need to deduct. It's not 100% clear from your post if that's the case for you, but I suspect it is.

davew128

Health insurance premiums are usually taken pre-tax, meaning you're not taxed on that income already. So there's no need to deduct. It's not 100% clear from your post if that's the case for you, but I suspect it is.
It's an itemized deduction. Civil service, government retiree, and medicare premiums are all post tax deductions from the various retirement plans they get withheld from. You can't have a Sec. 125 pre tax health insurance deduction from wages, when the payment isn't from wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">